Monday 9 March 2015

Braiding and plaiting



13.1.15
Braiding and plaiting


Today we looked at different ways of plaiting and braiding hair. I have always had a love for this type of thing, so I really enjoyed this lesson. I knew how to do a few styles already but it was good to go over them and refine my skills. I also really enjoyed learning new styles.

The first style I did was a simple french plait. To do this I simply took 3 strands from the top of the head, and plaited them, taking hair from each side as I went down. I found this style quite simple, but I definitely found it more tricky to do one down the centre of the head, as incorporating more hair into the middle was tricky. The main thing for me to practice here was keeping the hair taught, as it looked a bit messy.







 Here is my french plait from the side. As you can see, it was a lot better when i had less hair to work with.

 The next plait I tried was the dutch braid or inverted french plait. To do this it is the same procedure as french plaiting, except instead of taking the hair over the middle strand, you plait it under. I found this plait so much easier, and I was pleased with the out come.

The next braid I did was a fishtail braid. I really like the effect this braid gives, I think it looks really pretty. For this I split the hair into two, took a section from the outside of one half, and crossed it over to the inner section of the other half, almost creating a layer of crosses down the hair. I like the effect this has when it is taught, but also when it is pulled loose. Below is a practice I did at home. On real hair it is a lot more effective.

Practice on Blond hair at home


 This was a four strand braid. I enjoyed this but it was tricky. To achieve this you take four strands, and plait it like a 3 strand, just incorporating an extra strand, almost like weaving. Once I finished this I then attempted a five strand which was really tricky! This would be really good to practice and see how many strands I can build up.

The last braid I attempted I practiced at home after struggling in the lesson. This was a waterfall braid, which is the same process as a french plait along the side of the head, just feathering down the strand as you plait. I was proud that I managed to do this plait in the end, and makes me realise anything is possible if you just keep practicing.

Overall I really enjoyed plaiting, and I think it's a skill I will continue to practice and develop on my own.




No comments:

Post a Comment