Monday 8 December 2014

Foundations and Colour matching


8.10.14

Foundation

In our second week we learnt about foundations and colour matching. We learnt about the differences between a light, medium and full coverage foundation, and then began colour matching. This is something I found very difficult, especially with black skin, as I had previously never worked on it before.
  The first thing I did was to assess the skin. My model had combination skin, so I cleansed, toned and moisturised her face, but left the middle of the face where it was slightly oily. Looking back now, using a matte primer to neutralise the oiliness would have been a good idea.

The left picture is a full coverage foundation which is from the Le Maquillage palette. I really struggled at first to match my models skin tone, but once Branka showed me that it is all to do with undertones, and finding the right tone, I was able to match the colour quite well. My model had quite a yellow undertone to her skin, so I mixed a brown with a golden undertone to match her skin. I very lightly dusted her skin with a neutral powder, as the foundation was already very heavy.

The picture on the right is using MAC face and body, which is a light to medium, water based foundation. At the beginning of the lesson I was convinced that I would never like face and body as I previously found it very watery and difficult to work with. After being shown that it is actually a very versatile product and can be thickened when oxidised, I have actually started to like it. 


Overall I was quite happy with my colour matching, but it is definitely something I could improve on. I will need to also look at practicing on different skin tones as I struggled with that today.

No comments:

Post a Comment